Full root access is one of the most prominent features of a VPS Server. It is similar to having administrative rights on a home computer. While this gives you complete control over your hosting environment, you need to ensure that you make the most out of it. Today, we will talk about ways in which you can use full root access to optimise your website hosted on VPS Hosting.
VPS Hosting and full root access
A web hosting company uses virtualisation to create several virtual servers on a physical web server. In VPS Hosting, your website resides on one such virtual server. It offers a Dedicated Server-like environment at lower costs with exclusive resources, account isolation, and complete root access.
When you have full root access with VPS Hosting, you have the highest level of access to your virtual server. You can make changes to the system settings and install applications to create a customised hosting environment.
Making the most of full root access on VPS Hosting
Before you log in as a root user, it is essential to remember that the changes that you make to the system files are not reversible. Hence, if you accidentally delete a critical file, then the server can become non-operational. So if you are new to this, ensure that you backup your website before making any changes.
There is a lot that you can do with full root access, including:
- Upgrading PHP using EasyApache
- Installing ClamAV for your cPanel and configuring it
- Installing the Munin plugin for the Web Host Manager
- Email management which includes:
- Finding auto-responders or email forwarders
- Using Exim to locate spam
- Locating email delivery times and email accounts being used to spam
- Finding the number of times SpamAssassin has run
- Copy an account from another virtual server with root access
- Enabling cPHulk Brute Force Protection
- Merging multiple cPanel accounts into one
- Changing the time zone of the MySQL server
- Customising the php.ini file per user with FastCGI
- Disabling the POP3 mail service on the server
- Disabling server-wide directory indexes
- Disabling ModSecurity for a domain
Full root access allows you to control your hosting environment to ensure that you can cater to your site’s specific needs. It also allows you to boost your website’s security by installing any third-party security application. If you are not technically skilled to manage the virtual server, then you might want to consider opting for a managed VPS plan where the host takes care of most of the technical aspects on your behalf.
While some websites work fine in a standardised hosting environment, others might need custom applications or fine-tuning of the server settings for unique site experience. Such sites can benefit from a VPS Hosting service as full root access allows the site owner to make the required changes. However, it requires some technical knowledge. Hence, if the site owner is not technically savvy, then he can hire a professional to do the job or opt for Managed VPS services.